In 1935, three gentlemen by the names of Halford, Robins and Godrey respectively, announced the formation of a company that would produce a new car known as the HRG. Powered by a Meadows 4ED 1 1/2 litre engine, it would rocket the car from 0-50 m.p.h. in 9.8 seconds.
Despite its impressive performance, by 1938 the Meadows engine was nearing the end of its technological shelf life. As a substitute, HRG collaborated with Singer Motors in constructing a modified version of the overhead cam Singer 12 engine. One production model fitted with this engine was completed by September 1939.
The liaison with Singer motors also engendered HRG's 1100 models, which used a modified 1074 cc Singer Nine ohc engine to power them. A Singer synchromesh gearbox was also fitted. Eight 1100's were built between 1938-39.
By the fifties, HRG was using pretty much stock 1500 cc Singer engines, with a brief experimentation with a twin overhead cam version which used the SM 1500 bottom end and an all new head. The sale of Singer Motors to Rootes ended further collaboration. In all, only 240 HRG's were ever produced.
Pictured here is William Rice's beautiful 1956 HRG, chassis #231, the third last car to be produced. It is powered by a Singer 1500 cc engine.