In the spring of 1999 1 purchased my Singer Hunter and the fun started. The first thing I did was to start looking for all the information I could find - not an easy task as information on this model is pretty scarce. However, with the help of a friend I found NASOC and in turn learned of Kip Motors in Dallas, Texas where I was able to get a reproduction of the Singer technical service manual.
After gathering what information I could, I took pictures to document the condition of the car. I also decided to take things slowly. This is my first British car and I want to make sure I do it right.
I started my investigation as to what I had gotten myself into with the car's interior. Removing the door panels, I found that a lot of the wood coachwork would have to be replaced. The seats were all dried out and splitting, the head liner was torn out and the carpet was in about as bad a condition as it could be and still be there. The fascia had large paint chips in it and when I removed the middle panel where the controls are, I found that the wiring was in very bad shape. It was burnt, frayed and faded. The seals around the windows were so dried out that you could peel them off with your fingers.
The body was in fairly good shape, with a few dings here and there and only a couple of small spots on the right rear fender that showed signs of cancer. The rear bumper has a nasty dent in it, but I believe it can be saved. One of the hinges on the boot lid was broken, drilled and replaced and the wooden deck in the boot is falling apart. I found a hand crank in the boot, along with a set of Australian license plates with number QLD NEE 980.
I turned the engine over, but didn't try to start it as I didn't want to take the chance of doing any damage to it. The exhaust system is all but gone and the brake system is inoperable due to a broken brake line. The frame and bolts show some surface rust, which I believe is due to the time that this car spent in Australia and New Zealand.
Now the dismantling begins in earnest.